Saturday, April 11, 2020

Sometimes I sits and listens
for sounds from distant hill
catching news from far away
best heard when night is still
Doggo





Meet Covid, one man's best friend in isolation amid outbreak of pet concerns
ABC News Online, 10 April 2020

When Bernie Williams calls to his new adopted dog, he admits it raises a few eyebrows.

The 22-year-old exercise physiologist is among hundreds of Australians who have adopted animals to cope with loneliness in self-isolation during the outbreak, but he might be the only one who has named his dog Covid.

*********

Mr Williams, a Queenslander who moved away from family in January to take up a new job in Kalgoorlie-Boulder in Western Australia, described his adopted pet as his "self-isolation mate”. 

And as for concerns there could be a significant increase in the number of animals being surrenderedonce the lockdown was over, Mr Williams said there was no chance of that happening with Covid.

"I had to leave my other dog at home in Queensland and just after I moved over he died, so I've picked up this little fella," he said.

"At the moment I've got a housemate, but he could be heading off any time.

"I could be living alone pretty soon for a long time, so it will be good to have another presence around the house … he'll be my mate in isolation."

"My housemate came up with the name and I think he hit the nail on the head with it.”


FILM ~










No comments:

Post a Comment